Oct 16
SamKhann , Posted on SUPPORT NETWORK Blog

This is my story....

Story image

Back in 2011, I was diagnose with heart disease called Atrial Fibrillation (AFIB) meaning I had an irregular heartbeat. If do remember approximate about 10 months before I had the heart attack I felt a few symptoms like lack of energy, shortness of breath, and at times I would have  palpitations. Now with symptoms like lack of energy and shortness of breath I didn’t really  think nothing of it until had heart palpitations which means my heart would have fluttering or sudden pounding moments. The stubborn person that I’am I brushed it off and went on with my daily routine never thought it would be a serious matter. 

Six months before my heart attack I would started having discomfort in my chest, dizziness, lack of energy, and shortness of breath. I would have these symptoms on and off. It would happen every other week, then to every week. My stubbornness got in the way again and paid no attention to it. When the pain and symptoms started happening every 3-5 days I started to worry but I pushed off on going to the hospital. I had bills to pay. 

One day I was drawing a picture and I suddenly started to feel an uncomforted feeling in my left arm and crippling pain in my chest like a weight had been placed on my chest and I couldn't breath every time I would bend over to get something off the ground or even putting on shoes. It would happen every few hours. I tried to go to bed but I couldn’t sleep. I was in pain and had discomfort feeling.

Left arm had the discomfort feeling of a sharp pain right in the middle where it bends. When I raised my arm up and over my head the pain would stop or felt better. Every-time I would place my arm down the pain starts again. At the same time when I felt the sharp pain in my arm my chest would hurt too with a sharp pain right in the middle of my chest and couldn’t breath. I slept in a sitting position right by the window wide open cause the cold air felt good. 

The next day I went to work and I was asked how was my weekend from a coworker and told them what was going on. She was concerned and told a supervisor on shift and ambulance was called and I still refused to go. The paramedics asked why and I told them I need to pay bills and I would go after my shift. Paramedics was worried about my conditions and they couldn’t make me go to the ER if I didn’t want  to go. The supervisor on shift called my wife and she talked me into going. Honestly if I didn’t say anything I would probably not be here right now. When I arrived to the ER I didn’t know what to expect. It didn’t feel real at all and I started to think about my mom cause she passed away from  having heart problems in 2008. Not even an hour pass a nurse comes running in with a confused look and asked how was I feeling. I told them I felt fine no pains or anything. The nurse told me I was having a heart attack. I gave the nurse and stupid look and said shouldn’t I be in pain or something? She told me I’m having a minor heart attack. I was kinda shocked cause I was 28yrs old at the time. Got sent to the Cath Lab where the Cardiologist performed an angioplasty and stenting. 

After all that next day the doctor comes into my room to check up on me and explain what they found which was a blood clot and what I need to be doing and needs to happen from now on. Last but not least he asked about my lifestyle and I told him I was stressed out, unhealthy diet, lack of sleep, and I had no water for 3 years. 

During that time I was working full time with 12 hrs shift 3-4 days a week. Sometimes I’ll work 5-6 days a week, I had a family to support and bills needed to get paid. 

When I’m not working overtime I’m at home taking care of my brother in law that needed special care. He had a brain tumor as time went by his condition would get worse. 

Also, on my days off I was focusing on improving my skills with airbrushing and tattooing. I was one of those who would say “sleep?!...who sleeps? I’ll sleep when I’m dead.” I’ll  would sleep 2-3 hrs a day and sometimes not at all. 

I did all this for 3 years and never thought about what I was doing to myself. Yes, I was burnt out and constantly stressing. When I do get stress I would eat, drink, and do things that makes me happy. Ill take and do things that was convenient. It was just easy. I’ll would eat fast food, drink sodas, and mostly energy drinks. I would drink 3-5 of the big cans of energy drinks a day. I’ll have alcoholic beverage at times during the weekend or an special occasion. The bad part I never once had a drop of water for 3 years. Been smoking cigarettes since at the age of 13. 

With that said.....on September 5th,2018 I recently went to ER because I was having chest pains and having shortness of breath. I was visit by 3 different doctors and I found out I had to be admitted into hospital so they can monitor my heart and do some testing. 2 days later had another angioplasty and stenting. I thought that was it and be ok. After the procedure the cardiologist came to check on me to see how I was doing and told me I need to get a bypass surgery done too. I found out I had one artery that was pumping blood through out my whole body and my heart is only pumping blood at 29%. I was told my heart needed to get stronger before I have the bypass surgery cause I wouldn’t survive. 

So since 2013 I haven’t been taking care of myself. This time I went through a lot with going through a divorce, doing drugs, being homeless, getting bully, judged, mocked, misunderstood, lost job, lost car, basically lost everything, stress out to the max, fell into a deep depression, anxiety, and felt hopeless. As of right now I’m still waiting for financial assistance. I can’t have the operation done until I get some kind of insurance and not to long I had health insurance but got let go cause I wasn’t being honest with my condition. I wished this would have happen earlier when I had a job. I can’t work at the moment cause I feel like I’m a liability. This is my story....to be continued....

  • AHAASAKatie

    Thank you so much for sharing this story with us. I want to encourage you to reach out to our MyAFibExperience community members. You have such a powerful story and we are glad to have you here. Best Katie 

  • LaurenandJoe

    I am glad that you posted your story. My fiance s story is very similar to yours. We are also waiting for financial assistance. And feel the hopelessness you are talking about and has had a good bout with drugs. Never loose all hope and keep doing the next right thing. I know they say to stay off Google but if u Google heart disease and drug use it has some interesting information. Hope this helps . 

dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active