Nov 16
JCS0903 , Posted on SUPPORT NETWORK Blog


Story image

I had a stroke at the age of 42 on New Year's Eve day.  I was working out the morning of December 31, 2010, when my right arm started to spasm uncontrollably.  I thought it was a side effect of tendonitis, so I asked my trainer if we could "go light" that day as my arm was bothering me.  The whole time I was working out, my arm kept spasming, and at one point, my trainer asked if I wanted to stop, to which I replied, "No!  I'm finishing this workout!"  I still didn't know I was having a stroke.

After an hour-long workout, I went to change my shoes to go home, and was frustrated becuase I could not control my arm, so was unable to tie my shoes.  I didn't realize it at the time, but the reason I could not tie my shoes was not only because of my arm, but becuase I could not remember HOW to tie my shoes!

I then got in my car to drive home, but realized I had no control over my arm, so I could not drive.  So, I called my 16-year old son to come and pick me up.  In the meantime, a friend called to invite me to a party, and at that time I began stammering and stuttering like "Porky Pig".  My friend asked me if we had a bad connection, and I said, "No, that's me.  I think I'm having a stroke."  My son then arrived and drove me to the nearest hospital.  They did a scan, but said they did not see anything, but wanted me to stay overnight.  I was completely "out of it" mentally, and said, "No.  I'm not staying in a hospital on New Years Eve."  What a knucklehead I was!

I went home, and my son was convinced that there was something wrong with me, as I was still in a daze, and could not speak clearly.  I assured him I was fine, and would sleep it off.  By God's grace, I woke up the next day, and did not feel any different (still dazed and confused).  So I asked my son to drive me to the hospital near our home.  I walked into the emergency room, and told them, "I think I had a stroke".  So they did another scan and confirmed that I did!

3 days in the hospital and multiple tests revealed that I had a blood disorder that had caused the clot in my brain.  I was determined to make a full recovery -- this is where stubbornness actually helped!  I was back at work in one week, and back to working out in two weeks!  It's now been 8 years, and with daily blood thinner medication, I am almost back to where I was before the stroke.  I still have some weakness in my hand and stumble over words sometimes, but God pulled me through my arrogance and stubbornness to get me where I am today.

Moral of the story -- PLEASE take the signs seriously and don't think you'll just sleep it off.  You CAN recover, and lead a productive life.  Life is great, and each day is a gift.  Some days can be more challenging than others, but With God, all things are possible!



  • AHAASAKatie

    Thank you so much for sharing with us! Best Katie 

  • ashishjain37

    Hi. I have same story like you. Got stroke while working out 2 years ago.  Though I have regained most of my movements but can't open my left hand fingers despite going through regular physio therapy. Your story has really given me hope of full recovery

  • paulbrooke

    Life is great, and each day is a gift! Thanks for sharing your story!

  • BartO

    Guys you can beat strokes and high blood pressure with ease on a plant based diet look it up and give it a try it will change your life for the better.

dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active