May 12
EileenC , Posted on SUPPORT NETWORK Blog

Question about procedure

Aloha, Everyone,
I'd like to know if any of you have had the procedure that the doctors are thinking of doing on me.   Any information would be appreciated.  I have an enlarged muscle and a prolapsed valve in the left ventricle, and the passage between the muscle and valve is too narrow, causing a high pressure gradient.   Since I have always had low blood pressure, the assumption is that this is genetic.  Now I'm taking medication, but may need a surgical procedure to relieve the pressure in the ventricle and let the blood flow better.   They may be able to do this via an angiogram by inducing a "controlled heart attack" (septal oblation), cutting off the blood flow to the enlarged muscle so that it can atrophy.  That would widen the passage and relieve the pressure.   There are risks, though, like I might end up needing a pacemaker.   Has anyone else had this procedure?  Thanks!
  • mossrock
    I had open heart surgery to replace the Mitral valve. I can't give any advice, but I wish you much success and great health! Matt
  • EileenC
    Thank you, Matt! That may be in my future, as well. What kind of valve did you get? How do you feel?
  • Revkeener
    Good luck and may God be with you.
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active