Sep 2
pecaniere , Posted on SUPPORT NETWORK Blog


Friday, August 26, 2016, a week ago today, my life changed drastically.  Throughout the week prior, I did not feel well.  I was waking up in the morning with a headache and felt bloated; even noticing my ankles and feet looked swollen.  Although, not thinking anything different, I continued working throughout out the week.  By Thursday and Friday, I started feeling additional symptons.  I began having tightness in the chest and my jaw started hurting; it would come and go. When I would walk or move around, I was having shortness of breath.  All this time, I am thinking could this be signs of a heart attack or not; but I continued to ignore them.  Finally by 9 p.m. Friday night, I was feeling all the symptons and was beginning to have difficutly breathing.  At that point, my husband brought me to the emergency room.  

Immediately, they took blood pressure, did blood work, EKG and started me on oxygen.  The breathing calmed a bit but I was still having tightness in chest, jaw pain and headache.  Within a short period of time, it was revealed my heart enzymes were 1.7.  Doctor informed me I had a mild heart attack.  I would be brought to ICU for monitoring and as soon as they could get a cardiac team to perform an angiogram to determine the severity, we would know the outcome of the heart attack.  At this point, it is about 2 a.m. Saturday morning.  I was moved to ICU and told, "Since I was stable, we would probably wait to perform angiogram Monday during usual work hours."  

By 6 a.m. blood work revealed my enzymes were now 7.5 and continuing to rise.  Within the next two hours, my enzymes elevated to 30 and everything they were doing to keep me stable was not working.  The cardiac nurse practitioner decided she needed to call in a cardiac team to perform angiogram.  Procedure was done at 9:30 am.  

Results determined I had a blood clot with 100% blockage in LCX (left circumflex artery).  Clot was removed and two stents were placed in LCX.  30% blockage was found in LAD (left anterior artery) and 40% blockage was found in RCA (right coronary artery).  Both blockages were left alone and I am to begin following heart diet, take PLAVIX and aspirin every day.  Days later, I read my hospital records and it showed my enzyme level was as high as 74.  SCARY!!

This experience has truly changed my life; WAKE UP CALL, as they say.  I am truly blessed to be alive and share my story.  I have always been overweight and within the last three years, began taking medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol.  I have followed diet after diet, exercised and tried, at best, to do the things I was supposed to be doing.  I was not successful because I truly did not put the effort to make the right changes.

Today, is a new day and I want to make those changes.  I have over 100 pounds to lose and am ready and determined to make lifestyle changes.  I was happy to find this support network and hope it will benefit me as I take this new journey!!   
  • tcbbarb1
    you go girl !! you can do this !!! so glad to hear that you are ok went throuogh a scary experience !!! my thouights and prayers are with you ....
  • Isabell
    Good luck with your new journy. It is difficult, but you can do it.
  • ccoolcheryl
    Good Luck to you! You can do it! I'm on the journey right along with you. I need to lose over 100 lbs myself. Maybe we can speak to each other via posts to encourage each other.
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active