AHA Seeking Volunteers in Science
VOLUNTEER STAKEHOLDERS ARE VITAL TO THE MISSION of the American Heart Association’s research enterprise. Assuring stakeholders are included in research activites:
• Increases the accountability and transparency of the research process.
• Provides real-world understanding of what most impacts those affected by heart disease and stroke.
• Helps shape the research agenda and strengthen its impact on the mission.
• Bridges the gap between scientists and patients.
• Gives voice to the issues stakeholders think are most important.
• Integrates a diverse range of views (researchers, health professionals AND service-user representatives so research becomes more effective.
• Improves understanding of the benefits and burdens of patients in research studies.
• Informs others of the human dimension of research and its outcome.
• Prompts a sense of urgency for finding cures and more effective prevention, diagnosis, and treatments.
THE BENEFITS FOR VOLUNTEER PARTICIPATION
• Sharing information learned with the community and family members.
• Gaining an increased awareness and respect for the importance of the research enterprise.
• Demystifying the research process.
• Gaining confidence in the rigor of AHA’s selection of research projects.
• Satisfaction of contributing to a cure for the prevention for heart disease and stroke.
• Awareness that their real-world experience can influence the direction of science.
TO NOMINATE VOLUNTEERS
Elizabeth M. Cooper