• 2 replies
  • 2 followings
MattP, January 14,  2021  12:25pm EST

Day by Day

Hi everyone,

I had an ideopathic ischemic stroke in 2014, and I was treated "within the window" of 3 hours with tPA--thank god. I recovered the use of the left side of my body, but I was thunderstruck afterwards. It literally felt like I'd been struck by lightning, and every drop of energy had been depleted from every cell. My research told me that this was common for major physical traumas, and it did take me months to "recharge" again.

Physically, the only remaining symptom is an occasional very slight numbness in a few nerves around my left eye, cheek, and upper lip. No drooping or paralysis, I can still move them fine and no one else notices, but it's an unsettling feeling that comes and goes seemingly at random.

I have a very supportive wife and a wonderful daughter, both of whom I need to stay healthy for. I hope we can share about our experiences and remind each other that we're not alone in all of this.


2 Replies
  • AHAModerator
    AHAModerator, January 14,  2021  5:16pm EST


    Thank you for sharing your story with the community. It's so great to hear that you've recovered and that your family is supportive during this time. Please keep us updated on how you're doing!


    The AHA Team

  • BobDehner
    BobDehner, January 17,  2021  8:00pm EST

    Thanks for sharing Matt!

    I had an ischemic stroke last July and the hospital I went to prior to my stroke said they couldn't figure out what was wrong and released me to go home.  I went back later that same day with ultra high blood pressure and they kept me overnight.  I thought this time they would figure it out.  After staying overnight for over 14hrs they released me again and said there was nothing they could do and went home with high blood pressure and migraines.  The next day I refused to go to the hospital to be jacked around and end up having a stroke the next evening.  My wife and son rushed me to the hospital and they let me sit there with 210/110 blood pressure and a pulse at 92.  My entire right side was numb and I couldn't walk or move my right arm.  7hrs later I was taken to one of their stroke patient hospitals.  2 days later and a ton of medicines I was able to move my right arm over my head.  My right leg was still numb and immobile.  I went through a angioplasty and was never told about all of the stroke areas till after I left the hospital a week after being admitted and went straight to a rehabilitation hospital for another week.  This is where I was able to walk on my own without a cane or any assistance.

    Once I was released for home, I went for a 2nd opinion from a local neurologist and this is when I was informed of 5 areas that were affected from the stroke.

    I went for 3-4 months for outpatient therapy  for PT, OT and speech.

    I go back to work tomorrow after being off for less than 6 months and no restrictions.

    I thank my wife, son, god and our very close friends for all of the love and support.  I couldn't have done it without all of their support!!  God bless them!!

dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active