• 4 replies
  • 4 followings
AbigailH, November 25,  2019  11:48am EST

In need of therapy... the mental and emotional kind

My husband had the widow maker almost 2 years ago and hasn't dealt with any of the mental aspect of what happened.... where do I look... he needs to talk to someone! 

4 Replies
  • dwaters62
    dwaters62, November 25,  2019  2:53pm EST

    The first place to start is either your primary care physician or the cardialogist. I talk to both about my mental state and because I'm still in Physical therapy and Occupational therapy, I usually discuss my mental state with one of the therapists. There is one out of a dozen or so there that I will talk to about it. The primary physician has me on a mild antidepressant medication. Those 2 Drs can also refer a mental health specialist if need be.

    I do agree that he needs to be talking with someone, outside of the family unit. Talking with someone who has "Been There" helps a lot as well. That's the one thing, more so than the meds, that has helped me in my journey.

    Hope this helps,


  • BrianG
    BrianG, November 25,  2019  3:05pm EST

    I'm almost a year out from my widow maker . Life is mostly good but there r still periods of mental battles. My cardiologist and my cardio rehab group referred me to mental health professionals. Definitely ask those two to start 

  • Lisad2
    Lisad2, January 5,  2020  9:48pm EST

    if he is employed, does the employer have an EAP ( employee assistance program)?  They can help and also refer him to a professional in the area. Sometimes the services are at no cost as well. 

dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active