- 6 replies
- 357 views
- 4 followings
Waiting for second ablation
I've had a real journey these past several months. Diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome in August. Then FSG followed by massive prednisone treatment. With all kinds of complications. I've begun tapering off prednisone. After prednisone diabetes, dizziness, lightheadeness, irritability, etc. but after 6 months , it appears that the kidney issue is in remission. It seemed like my bloodwork was really improved, my kidney function was improved, but I wasn't improving. There was difficulty in breathing which ultimately was diagnosed as the pneumonia. Treated with antibiotics to no avail. Then a bronchoscopy that found blastomycosis. Pulmonologist saved my life. Now on a minimum of six months of an anti fungal drug. I'm on 20 mg of prednisone, waiting for clearance for second ablation. See nephrologist in 4 weeks. Hope ablation at that time, if EP is ready. I guess we will see.
so it's been a journey to get here. I'm in constant AFIB, since September. Tachycardia and some bradycardia, but crazy rhythm.
Jeanamo815, February 14, 2020 11:03am EST
So sorry for all your difficulties. Hoping and ppraying for better days ahead for you. Let us know how you are doing.
Wishing you the best,
Edhammer, February 15, 2020 9:02am EST
it's kind of a wait and see situation. I'm religious with my anti coagulant. My Kardia . says I'm in constant AFIB. I'm wondering how my EP will fix this. Plus I'm going fairly low heart rate. He had talked about a pacemaker, which I see as a last resort.
Any thoughts, anyone?
Thumper2, February 15, 2020 9:46am EST
Edhammer, I think a lot of us have pacemakers and find them not to be a burden at all. It certainly is true for me. I don't like the concept of being dependent on one (and in my case, since my AV node was destroyed, I am REALLY dependent!). If you are relatively young,I can understand your reluctance more. But I am 83 and find that a pacemaker beats all the other alternatives! Perhaps others will share their experiences with pacemakers.
Edhammer, February 15, 2020 10:42am EST
I guess I look at a pacemaker as a final solution. I'm 70, so not all that worried about longevity. Maybe more conservative in solutions? An ablation can be redone....
I appreciate the input.
Larkspur, February 15, 2020 11:38am EST
Tough journey! I also have a pacemaker, and true, you don't want to jump for one unless you meet certain criteria which your EP would explain. They are usually things like very low heart rate (say high 30s to low 40s, pauses over 3 seconds or chronotropic incompetence.) My EP watched and tested me for a couple of years before she recommended a pacemaker. I was getting a lot of pauses so it was a big relief as soon as she connected the leads to the battery. I really like mine for the security of a steady reliable beat. Mine also has an algorithm to outpace PACs (which can lead into Afib) and that is a plus too. I can feel that function kick in occasionally. The new pacemakers can be adjusted in many ways to fit your lifestyle and as Judy said, you barely notice it. Mine is "buried" so that it is not visible. But, you don't want to get one unless you need one!
I'm curious about your antifungal drug as my dermatologist wants to prescribe one for me but the ones we have looked have had either personal genetic contraindications or the risk of elongating the QT interval. Do you mind saying which one you are taking?
Edhammer, February 15, 2020 12:43pm EST
we will see how my EP decides to go. He was hesitant about the pacemaker. Bring careful
I'm on 6 months or more of a generic of Sporonax(sp). It's a tough drug. Hard on the liver, but it's what works for blastomycosis. Apparently blastomycosis can linger and resurface if it's not totally taken care of. So I'm following orders!