- 6 replies
- 148 views
- 4 followings
Cardio Version or Ablation
I'm new to this forum. My dilema is that I contracted Afib in Feb 2019 from Sleep Apnia. I underwent Cardio Version, and have since lost 40 lbs, and pressure and LDL are good. I felt great! 8 months go by, Afib returns for an unknown reason. Cardio Version once again. Feeling good again. This past Aug, it returned the day before I moved to Tampa Fla. My new Doc suggests I have a Cryoballoon Ablation. I feel that another CV will only be temporary. Any thoughts? Im a little nervous about this procedure.
Thumper2, October 16, 2020 8:55am EST
Jameskelly, welcome to the forum! IMHO, having an ablation as your next step in your journey with AFib is a good idea. I assume you are seeing an electrophysiologist who has done hundreds of successful ablations. I have had ablations and never found them very difficult--generally, you go in the hospital on one day and are discharged the next. As many have said here, an ablation is the closest thing to a "cure" for AFib that you can get. Please let us know how things go!
BTW, congratulations on losing weight! How is your sleep apnea going? I don't think you can get AFib from sleep apnea -- generally speaking, none of us here (including me and my husband) have any idea why we got AFib. All the best,
Mcs1025, October 16, 2020 11:38pm EST
Hi there. I also learned from my cardiologist at Mount Sinai in NY about sleep apnea and it's connection to AFib. It's definitely an underlying cause in some.
jameskelly, October 17, 2020 7:56am EST
Thanks to all for the support. My sleep apnia was mild, and did not require CPAP, or meds. However, it did cause Afib. Ihave an appt with a new Doc next week to discuss Ablation. I guess I have no choice.
DkinAA, October 18, 2020 9:05am EST
Just curious - why are your docs not suggesting use of anti arrhythmia drugs like flecanide? It seems common practice to try drugs first. I've been on them for about a year and will likely try ablation if they quit working.
jameskelly, October 19, 2020 12:40pm EST
It was suggested I try Multaq. There are two reasons why Im hesitant:
1. Ive heard about side effects with Multaq. To be honest, I really do not want to take another drug.
2. Its $175 per month! Xarelto is already costing me $125 a mo.
I guess if I decide to have the Ablation, I wont have to take any more drugs I think.
DkinAA, October 20, 2020 8:03am EST