- 2 replies
- 186 views
- 3 followings
"From My Heart"
I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, American Heart Association National Heart Valve Ambassador, Global Humanitarian, and Heart Valve Disease Survivor. A couple of years ago ,I received a new heart valve plus a pace maker. I was born with an abnormal heart valve and developed symptoms at age 42. I notified my doctor, a test was ordered then I received a mechanical valve. Four days later I developed heart blockage . The doctor informed my family that I would need a pace maker to help my heart function. A year later, my third surgery took place : pace maker revision. My fourth surgery took place on December 21st, 2015; I received new batteries in my pace maker.
Five things I wish I knew before my heart valve procedure…
- More information about the potential side effects after surgery, such as anemia, shortness of breath , low endurance, etc. which occurred after my first procedure.
- Time frame for the recovery process.
- How to cope with the physical limitations.
- How to prepare for the transition; post-surgery.
- More information about the medication I need to take.
Five things I know now, after my heart valve replacement & three pacemaker surgeries:
- The struggle is real and that’s why I rely on my faith in God to cope with the recovery process.
- It’s very important to notify my cardiologist when I develop any new symptoms; I am so thankful for my doctor.
- Keep the lines of communication open with my family & friends about my recovery.
- Focus on the positive; reach out, give back to the community: help others cope with heart-related issues.
- Press through the low moments, take one day at a time and never, give up.
I thank God for giving me the courage & strength to share my story of survival from four surgeries.
Sharing Healthy Resources...
May your day be filled with love, peace and joy
Photo Credit: takenbylalaphotography
NewPacer73, September 17, 2020 7:24pm EST
Love your lists! And resources. Awesome post. So sorry you have dealt with so much at such a young age. You are a gift for me. Things I never thought about. Excellent post. Thanks for sharing this with me. Hugs and much love to you.
KimberlyG, September 23, 2020 6:35pm EST
I appreciate your kind words, may your week be filled with blessings 🌹