lchildery
  • 4 replies
  • 271 views
  • 2 followings
lchildery, August 4,  2020  12:54pm EST

Returning to School?

Hello!  My son is 7 and was diagnosed with Tetralogy of Fallot at birth.  He had his corrective OHS at 7 months at which time they also removed his pulmonary valve.  He has no restrictions or complications, but I am concerned about his risk of returning to school in a couple of weeks.  Just curious what guidance other families have received and ultimately what decision you have made regarding your heart warrior's education this fall.  Thanks!

4 Replies
  • AHAASAKatie
    AHAASAKatie, August 5,  2020  9:18am EST

    Good morning, I can totally understand your concerns regarding your son's return to school. I have reached out to a few contacts to see if we can help start a discussion regarding what other parents are doing to help you. It may be a bit of time before answers come in, but I did want you to know I was working on this. Best Katie. 

  • AHAASAKatie
    AHAASAKatie, August 6,  2020  9:30am EST

    Good morning, I did find this School Safety and COVID-19 podcast that might help you as well. And, I am still looking for other CHD parents to help talk with you as well. Best Katie

  • kellyCHF
    kellyCHF, August 13,  2020  6:33pm EST

    Hi!  I think advice on this varies considerably depending on where in the country you are.  We are in the Boston area and our cardiologist has said our son (11 years old) is not at any higher risk and can go to school with the same precautions we would take with our other children.  Our local school just voted to do a hybrid model (half the school at a time, in person 2 days, virtual 3 days).  We have metrics to switch to all virtual if cases go up.  We also have the option to do all virtual from the get go if we are not comfortable with hybrid.  It's such a hard decision and no easy or right answer (I'm still not sure what we will decide).  I would say the best thing to do is try to get a definitive answer from your cardiologist and also follow your gut.  Good luck!

  • StephanieJS
    StephanieJS, August 21,  2020  3:46pm EST

    Hello!  I am a 33 year old TOF survivor.  My son is 6 and also has severe asthma, so we were both "red flagged" when Corona first began.  From the onset, my husband and I agreed the best course of action was to only follow the advice of our two doctors so we wouldn't get overwhelmed with the constant conflicting information.  We stayed home for the first three months and kept very open communication with our doctors.  As our area's numbers decreased, our doctors became more lenient, and we are back to "normal" life while still using precautionary measures (we have yet to go places where there may be large groups).  I know this is a slightly different persepective because I do not have a heart warrior, but both of our conditions were considered when making the decision to send him to school.  We opted for a private school with fewer students to avoid exposure to large numbers of children.  If working from home long term was an option, I probably would have explored an online education model for at least the first semester to monitor rates of outbreaks.  My best advice would be to trust your son's doctor and do what is best for your family and situation! 

dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active
dark overlay when lightbox active